I’ve baked quite a few lemon loaves over the years but this is definately my fav! It has a light and fluffy texture and is soaked through with lemon, sugar syrup. An absolute best seller in all of the Cafes I have baked in.
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
125 grams butter (at room temperature)
1/2 cup castor sugar
I tablespoon lemon zest (from one medium sized lemon)
2 medium-sized eggs
1 1/2 cups standard flour
2 level teaspoons of baking powder
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice (you will need about 5 medium-sized lemons for this)
1. Start by preheating the oven to 150°C fan bake or 175°C conventional oven, on bake, with a rack placed just below the centre of the oven.
2. In a small bowl mix together 1/2 cup of the coconut (save the other 1/4 of a cup for later) and the milk. Set aside.
3. Line a standard sized 21 cm L x 11 cm W x 6 cm D loaf tin with baking paper and lightly spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Place the softened butter, the sugar and the lemon rind into a medium sized bowl. Using an electric beater on a medium speed, beat it altogether for 3 – 4 minutes (scraping the bowl down a few times) until it’s slightly paled in colour and looks creamy.
5. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
6. Add the flour, baking powder and the salt to one side and the coconut, milk mix to the other side. Use the beaters on a low speed to fold it altogether until it’s all just combined.
7. Evenly spoon the batter into the loaf tin and then place it in the oven.
8. Bake for 50 minutes or until it’s firm when you gently press the centre and a small, sharp knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9. Whilst the loaf is baking squeeze the lemon juice and place it and the sugar into a small saucepan, leaving it aside until the loaf is baked.
10. When the loaf is done, over a medium/high heat bring the sugar and the lemon juice to the boil, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat down to medium/low and simmer it for 5 minutes.
11. Using the pointy end of a skewer gently poke many holes into top of the loaf and using a normal sized dessert spoon, spoon the syrup carefully all over the loaf until there is none left.
12. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of coconut all over the top. Leave to cool before slicing.
13.Keeps up to 3 days in an airtight container, in the pantry.
For a more detailed walkthrough visit my website: http://www.taniaskitchen.co.nz/excellent-lemon-coconut-syrup-loaf/