Hi everyone This is my favourite pizza sauce recipe that I was lucky enough to have passed on.
So you made a beautiful pizza base from scratch…..so will you spread store bought sauce all over your hard work or spread on your own fabulously tasty home made sauce?! Even if it’s a store bought base having your own sauce ready to go in the freezer will make a much more delicious pizza Here’s the recipe I use for the pizzas at work and I love it. It makes approx. 5 cups and I use it and then divide and freeze the rest. I use diced tomatoes from the tin but if you’re an avid gardener of course you can use your own! I prefer to use fresh Italian herbs; rosemary, parsley, oregano and thyme from the herb garden but you can of course use dried, it will still taste great.
- 1 cup fresh herbs (loosely packed) or 1 tablespoon of dry, Italian herbs
- 1 medium-sized brown onion
- 5 medium-sized cloves garlic (or 4 large)
- 3 tablespoon of vegetable oil or a light/medium olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 x 400 gram (14 oz) cans, diced tomatoes or 15-18, fresh, ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- If using fresh tomatoes, peel & core them & then roughly dice them into small pieces. Leave them aside.
- If using them, remove all the leaves from the fresh herbs, roughly chop them up & then set them aside.
- Peel & finely dice the onion & the garlic cloves.
- In a large saucepan, over a medium heat up the first measure of oil & the butter for I minute.
- Add the fresh or dry herbs & the onion. Cook them for 5 mins, stirring often until the onions are soft & clear (if they are starting to brown turn the heat down a bit).
- Add the garlic & cook for another minute.
- Next stir in the tomato paste & cook for another minute.
- Now add the tomatoes & turn the heat up to high. Stir occasionally whilst letting it come to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium/low & simmer (a soft boil) it for 30 mins.
- After the 30 mins is up, add the sugar, salt, olive oil & vinegar. Stir them in well & continue cooking for 5 mins.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze up to 6 months.
For a walkthrough including pics visit my blog – http://www.taniaskitchen.co.nz/italian-pizza-sauce/