Just like ‘Baker Dave’ said, yoghurt adds moisture to cupcakes, cakes and muffins. All of my muffins are mixed with natural, unsweetened yoghurt and they are rich and tender. These muffins are no exception with added, chunky pieces of chocolate. 🙂
115 grams butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
2 large eggs (I used size 7’s)
2 cups standard flour (loosely packed)
3 teaspoons baking powder (yes….3!)
300 grams milk chocolate (from a block or buttons)
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of plain, unsweetened, natural yoghurt
Optional – 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 190°C conventional oven or 170°C fan bake with a rack placed just above the centre.
2. With non stick cooking spray liberally spray a 12 hole standard sized muffin tin or a 6 hole Texas sized muffin tin (alternately use muffin papers).
3. If using a block of chocolate roughly chop it up with a large knife and set aside.
4. In a small saucepan, over a low heat melt the butter.
5. Place the sugar in a large bowl, add the melted butter and stir the two together.
6. Add the eggs and mix in well.
7. Add the flour, baking powder, chopped chocolate (or buttons) & the yoghurt and fold it altogether until just combined. Note* If wanting to drizzle some chocolate over the tops later, leave 50 grams aside.
8. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin holes, (being careful not to push it down too much).
9. Bake in he oven for 20 mins for standard size or 30 mins for the texas size, or until they have evenly browned and the centres feel firm to the touch.
10. If drizzling chocolate over the tops, once the muffins have cooled place the chocolate you set aside in the microwave and melt it. Start with 20 seconds and then stir and repeat until it’s melted and then use a small spoon to drizzle it all over the tops.
11 .If using them, sprinkle over the sliced almonds.
12. Keep in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 2 days. Refresh by reheating in the microwave until they are just warm.
For a more detailed walkthrough visit my blog: http://www.taniaskitchen.co.nz/chocolate-chunky-muffins/