Indulge in these fluffy gluten-free and vegan sweet potato caramel pecan muffins, drizzled with luscious nutty caramel sauce. The natural sweetness of the potatoes, the nutty pecans, and the spices blend beautifully together in perfect harmony.
Makes: 12-14 muffins Cooking time: 25 minutes Difficulty: easy
• 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
• 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
• 1 teaspoon orange zest
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
• 1/3 cup coconut oil
• 1/2 cup unsweetened nut milk
• 2 tablespoons mild molasses
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
• 1/4 cup demerara sugar
For the caramel sauce:
• 1/2 cup agave syrup
• 2 tbsp natural creamy almond butter
• 3/8 cup coconut cream
• 1/4 tsp salt
To make the caramel sauce:
1) In a small saucepan, heat on medium to high heat agave nectar for 3-4 minutes.
2) Add the almond butter and stir well. Cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time. (Be careful to not burn yourself!)
3) Add the coconut cream and stir well until the mixture becomes homogeneous. Leave on the heat for 30 seconds, then remove from heat, add salt and allow to cool.
For the muffins:
1) Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a regular muffin pan very well and flour the pan; set aside.
2) In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, chopped pecans, salt, and whisk together; set aside.
3) In a separate large bowl add the mashed sweet potatoes, sugars, oil, milk, molasses, orange zest, vanilla, and whisk until combined.
4) Pour the wet sweet potato mixture over the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined; don’t overmix.
5) Fill up 3/4-full of each muffin well; don’t overfill. Sprinkle with some demerara sugar.
6) Bake for about 17 to 18 minutes or until tops are set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Allow muffins to cool in pans for about 15 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
7) Drizzle with some almond butter caramel and enjoy!