Homemade sweet cardamon buns filled with vanilla custard, these Scandinavian little buns will steal your heart! https://gfhomebakery.com
- 6 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 1/4 (10 oz/ 296 ml) cup milk lukewarm
- 2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup (50 gram/ 1.78 oz)sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cardamom ground
- 4 cups gluten free flour (preferably for doughs)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp gluten free flourflour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg yolks beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup (96 gram/ 3.8 oz) powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon fresh juice
- First, make the buns: Mix the butter, milk, yeast, sugar, salt, cardamom and flour.
- On a lightly floured surface knead to form a ball. Cover and let it rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 F/ 220 C. Line parchement paper on a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Divide the ball of dough into 12 equal parts.
- Using a tablespoon measurement make a hollow in each ball and cover them with a towel or fling film.
- Make the vanilla custard: Using a double boiler, add the milk, vanilla,lemon zest and egg yolks. Slowly add in the flour. Stirring often to mix well, this will prevent clumps from forming.
- Bring to a simmer while mixing, and until the mixture is thickened.
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl to allow the custard to cool.
- Spoon custard into the hollow of each ball.
- Place dough balls on the sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Make the icing: mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar together.
- Drizzle over the baked buns. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.