Moist, fluffy and scrumptious mocha bundt cake with the nutty addition of almond flour, that will make you want to eat the whole pan!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Barney butter almond flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup yogurt, at room temperature
- ¼ cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- For the chocolate marbling:
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350F(180C) and grease a 10-cup bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup (or a small bowl) whisk together the yogurt and milk. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or in a large bowl and an electric hand mixer), beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- With the mixer running on medium-low speed, gradually add in the sugar.
- Raise the speed to medium-high and continue beating together until lightened up in both color and texture; 4 to 5 minutes. The color should turn very pale (almost white) and texture should look fluffy.
- Add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the vanilla and beat together for one minute. On lowest speed, add in one-third of the flour mixture and mix until mostly combined.
- Add in half of the yogurt-milk mixture and lightly stir until almost mixed in. Continue with adding another one-third of the flour mixture, followed by the remaining sour cream and ending with the last third of flour mixture. Mix until just combined and a smooth batter forms. Do not overmix.
- With a rubber spatula, give the batter one good, final stir to make sure that everything is well incorporated.Remove 1½ cups of the batter from the bowl and set aside.
- To make the chocolate marbling: In a medium bowl, combine the milk, coffee, butter and sugar and heat in the microwave until the butter has melted. Whisk to dissolve the sugar. Add in the cocoa powder and stir really well until there are no lumps and a very thick chocolate paste forms. Add in the baking soda and stir again.
- Take a few tablespoons from the reserved vanilla cake batter and stir really well into the chocolate paste to lighten it up. Add the remaining reserved cake batter into the chocolate mixture and fold until evenly incorporated and no light streaks remain.
- Transfer the vanilla cake batter into the prepared pan, then using the back of a spoon, make a tunnel in the middle, around the pan. Spoon the chocolate batter into the tunnel, avoiding the sides. Using a butter knife, swirl the 2 batters together in an ‘S’ shape motion.
- Bake in the oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the center springs back to the touch and a skewer inserted down the center of the cake comes out clean or with a few moist but cooked crumbs attached.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes then invert on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Serve plain or dust with powered sugar.