A twist on a traditional Greek dessert. Lovely vibrant green color and the citrusy flavor of lemon takes it up a notch! Silky,with the beautifully burnt sugar on top,this pie is heavenly!
- 1.5 quart (1.5 liters) milk
- 5.2 oz (150 grams) gluten free multi-purpose flour (I used King Arthur measure for measure gf flour)
- 1 cup pistachios (finely grounded ,peeled and raw if possible)
- 7 oz (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 egg,room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest from 3 lemons*
- 1 tablespoon butter
- powdered sugar to dust on top
- chopped pistachios
- lemon zest(optional but refreshing addition)
- Preheat oven at 350 F(180 C). Grease a 10in. x 10in pan (25,4 x 25,4 ) and set aside.
- In a small bowl,with a hand mixer beat egg and sugar until pale and creamy. Set aside.
- In a big pot, on a medium heat, warm up the milk. Not simmer or boil!
- Add the egg-sugar mixture into the pot filled with milk and start whisking really quick. You don’t want omelet with your dessert!
- Add flour and pistachio gradually and keep on whisking.
- Add vanilla extract,lemon zest and butter. Whisk until custard starts thickening up.
- Pour custard in the pan. Dust with a little bit of granulated sugar and bake it for an hour. The top will start browning and sugar will caramelize beautifully. Don’t worry if you see dark spots on top,it’s part of the beauty!
- Let it cool off completely and dust some powdered sugar on top, some pistachios and lemon zest. Lemon zest on top is optional,but really brightens up the dessert!