A twist on a traditional syrup soaked walnut cake. Nutty,fluffy,light and scrumptious cake.Everything tastes better with chocolate!
For the cake
- 7 oz (200 grams) unsalted butter,soften
- 1 cup of sugar.
- 5 eggs,room temperature and separated yolks from egg whites
- 2 cups finely ground hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup GF bread crumbs.
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour for baking
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- zest from 1 orange
- 1/2 cup cognac or rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the syrup:
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven at 350 F. Grease with butter a bundt cake or a 10x 10 inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a stand mixer,beat the egg whites until a steady peaks appear. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a small bowl add the dry ingredients:flour,bread crumbs,baking powder,salt,hazelnuts. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl,beat with a hand mixer butter and sugar,until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg yolks and beat in medium speed until yolks well-incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients in the batter and beat until dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Add rum and beat for a minute.
- Take the beaten egg whites from the fridge and add 1/3 at a time and fold with a rubber spatula.,gently.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- While is baking,make your syrup:
- Simply,add all syrup ingredients and let it simmer in a medium heat for 10-15 minutes until thickens slightly. Let it cool down completely.
- When your cake is ready and piping hot,straight from the oven pour cold chocolate syrup on top and let it sit until cools down. Cake will absorb syrup.
- We need cold syrup and hot cake or cooled cake and hot syrup
- You can keep the remaining chocolate syrup,and add it in your kid’s milk, your coffee or your pancakes!