Brownies with latin American flair,filled and topped with dulce de leche,warmth of cinnamon and cayenne pepper. These moist and fudge-y brownies will make you drool!
- 3/4 cup flour,gluten free
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 TBSPS cocoa powder
- 11 oz (312 grams) semi sweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter,cut in 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 5 eggs,room temperature
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed milk or store bought dulce de leche (gluten free)
- sea salt for sprinkling
*If you choose to make your own dulce de leche you have to prepare it day before and store it in mason jar in the fridge
To make dulce de leche:
Peel the label off the can of sweetened condensed milk, place it in a pot or large saucepan, and cover it with water by 1 to 2 inches. Bring it to a very gentle boil, then reduce the heat to LOW, so that the water has a nice slow simmer.
Watch the water level and add water if the level of water falls below the top of the cans. Very important to keep a watch on the water level!
Simmer the can for 2 to 2 1/2 hours for a lighter golden dulce de leche. Simmer it for 3 1/2 hours for a deeper color and flavor. (Using tongs, VERY CAREFULLY turn over the cans halfway through the simmering process.)
After the simmering time, turn off the heat and allow the cans to come to room temperature.
**Do not open the cans while they are still hot! Let them cool completely before opening.
To make the brownies:
- Preheat the oven at 350 F(180 C). Prepare a 9×9 inch (22×22 cm) baking pan by spraying with nonstick spray, and then lining with parchment paper leaving excess hanging over two sides of the pan.
- In a small bowl,whisk flour,prices salt and cocoa. Set aside.
- In a double boiler,melt chocolate chips with butter and instant coffee until smooth. When melted,remove from heat and add sugars.
- Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture until well blended.Add the remaining eggs, and vanilla. Do not over mix.
- Add dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture and fold with a rubber spatula. Do not over mix. When there are still a few small lumps of unmixed flour and cocoa powder visible, stop mixing.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared baking pan,dd spoonful of dulce de leche and pour rest of the brownie batter. Drizzle some more dulce leche and make swirls with a toothpick or the tip of your knife. Sprinkle some sea salt and bake for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted an inch away from the center comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool slightly before you drizzle more dulce de leche. Let them cool completely and then lift them out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into bars.