This is my first post here, yay! Apologies if my writing sounds a bit weird, I’m not a very talented writer to be honest.
Here, I want to share this amazing recipe with you: cheese pies. As a Greek, I’ve been eating those my whole life: for breakfast in the morning, as a snack with some Greek coffee, at kids’ parties, at grandma’s.. Pretty much at any time, and for any reason! I think it’s one of my favorite things to bake and eat. Go ahead and try it, you won’t regret it, I promise!
Ingredients (20-25 servings)
For the dough:
- 500gr. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 t.s. baking powder
- 200gr. butter
- 2 eggs
(all ingredients should be in room temperature)
For the filling:
- 400gr. Feta cheese
- 1 egg
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- Add all the ingredients for the dough in a bowl and knead until the dough is not sticky anymore. Then leave the dough to rest for half an hour, in the bowl covered with a towel. (You can also skip this step if you’re impatient like me :))
- Meanwhile in another bowl, crumble the feta, add the egg and salt&pepper and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Take the dough and knead it a bit more on a flour-covered top. Cut it in many small balls and open each one of them with the rolling pin. Or alternatively, open the dough in a big sheet with the rolling pin, and then use a mug to form circles, like below
- Add the filling in the small circles and then they’re ready to be turned over and secured. I usually use a couple of drops of water, wetting half the circle so it can stick easier when turning it over.
- Before putting them to the oven, you can use egg wash or some olive oil on top, for some extra shine while baking. And sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 180°C for 15-20 mins (depending on how big they are) or until they’re golden-brown.