My grandma used to make pies very often. Almost every day! Big ones, with homemade filo of course, and different fillings each time, for the whole family.
Her filo is so thin that you can almost see through it, and so crunchy that you can’t stop at just one piece.. As many times as I’ve tried, I never managed to make a pie as good as hers, but this recipe is as close as it gets. And maybe if I keep making pies for the next 50 years, maybe I’ll be as good as yiayia.. 🙂
For the dough:
- 600 gr. all-purpose flour
- 1 sp. olive oil (+ some extra for sprinkling)
- 1 sp. white vinegar
- 1 t.sp. salt
- 1 big cup lukewarm water
For the filling:
- 4-5 leeks
- 1 big onion
- 2-3 spring onions
- 150gr. feta
- pinch of salt&pepper
- olive oil
For the filo:
- Mix all ingredients for the dough and knead until it’s not sticky. If needed, add more flour. Let the dough rest for about half an hour, covered with a towel (or don’t, if you’re impatient, like me).
- On a flour-covered surface, open the dough to a big sheet with a rolling pin. Cover the whole sheet with a layer of olive oil. Cut the dough into small squares (about the size of your palm), and stow them on top of each other, until you have a ”tower” of filo, olive oil, filo, olive oil and so on.. 🙂 Form it a bit into a small ball, cover in cling foil and put it in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
For the filling:
- Chop all ingredients, put a bit of olive oil in a pan and cook the ingredients in medium heat until they’re soft and have released all the water (except for the feta).
- Let the mix chill, and then add the crumbled feta.
Putting it all together:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and on a flour-covered surface divide it into 2 balls: one bigger and one slightly smaller. The bigger one will be as a bottom filo and the smaller one as a top.
- Cover your tray (I used a 26 cm round tray) with baking paper, and sprinkle with a bit of flour.
- Roll out the bigger ball to a thin filo and put it in the tray. It should be bigger than the tray, so you can roll it up in the end. Add the mix of leek & feta.
In the end roll out the smaller ball of dough and cover the filling. Roll up the dough exceeding the tray nicely, brush the pie with some olive oil, and sprinkle with water for an extra crunch!
Tip! Cut the pie in pieces already so that the warm air gets in everywhere and bakes evenly, and the filo doesn’t puff.
Bake in 190°C for about 30 mins, or until it’s golden-brown.