We had one of our dearest friends round for tea on Friday night and I made dinner. I decided to make something I haven’t made before. I’ve stuffed peppers before and chicken but haven’t given tomatoes a go just yet. I didn’t know how they would turn out, as with all experiments, but I was pleased with the results.
We all know that broccoli and cheese work beautifully together and they did in the tomatoes. When you bite into the tomato it gives you a burst of acidity and moisture and then the flavours of the filling hit you and counteract the acidity. Really delicious.
Only thing I can complain about is preparing the tomatoes. It was a little time consuming and annoying to try and get the insides out of the tomatoes. There was so much juice and it was going everywhere and it was difficult not to rip the skin itself. Saying that though, I think the end result was worth it.
I had to give this recipe a couple of attempts to get right. The first time, I ended up with some much ‘filling’ that I stuffed some an extra pepper and made
From the kitchen of Mrs Walls Cooks.
- 6 large vine tomatoes
- 200 g broccoli (chopped)
- 70 g Gruyere cheese (grated)
- 40 g Parmesan (grated)
- 30 g breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tbsp of mixed herbs
- Boil the broccoli until it is very soft. Drain it well and then use a fork to mash it. Leave to cool. Preheat the oven at 180ºc/350ºf/gas mark 4.
- Slice the top off the tomatoes and scoop the insides out trying not to rip the outer skin of the tomatoes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the broccoli, Gruyere, Parmesan, breadcrumbs and herbs (hold back enough of the cheese to use as a topping). Season well. Stuff the tomatoes with the mixture and use the leftover cheese to add a little to each tomato to top. Add the tomatoes to a baking tray and cover with foil.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, taking the foil off the top for the last five minutes in the oven to help brown the tops a little.
Did you love my Stuffed Tomatoes?
Leave me a comment or share your pictures on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #mrswallscooks