I’ve never had a store-bought or bakery bagel that’s been as good as a homemade bagel…


And believe me, I’ve sampled a few bagels in my life.

I’ve walked the earth… “You know, like Caine in “KUNG FU.” Just walk from town to town, meet people, get in adventures.”… and eat bagels.

But I’ve yet to encounter one that matches a bagel straight from my own oven.

Not that I’m bragging.

Garlic and Rye Bagels

Makes 12

2 heads of garlic

1 tablespoon olive oil

Sea salt flakes

Freshly ground black pepper

125g rye flour, plus extra for dusting

350g wholemeal flour (I use Atta flour)

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons dried yeast

2½ teaspoon fine sea salt

1 tablespoon malt extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water

1 tablespoon each nigella seeds, sea salt flakes and onion flakes

Preheat the oven to 180°C.  

Put the heads of garlic on to a large square piece of foil, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bring the edges of the foil up to form a pouch and completely enclose the garlic. Place the pouch on a baking tray and roast for an hour.  Once very soft, leave until cool enough to handle, then squeeze the flesh out of the skins and set aside. Discard the skins.

Combine both of the flours and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook.  Take out ½ cup of the flour mixture and put it into a separate bowl and add the yeast and 310ml lukewarm water.  Mix with a fork, then set aside for 10 minutes until it becomes frothy.  Add the yeast mixture to the dry mixture, add the salt and mix on low speed for 10 minutes. Form the dough into a ball, pop it into a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature for 1½ hours, or until doubled in size.

Line a baking tray with baking paper, sprinkle the paper with a little flour. Set aside.

Turn the risen dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Add the garlic and knead it into the dough.  Divide the dough into 12 even portions and roll each portion into a ball. Poke a hole into the centre of the balls with your finger then twirl the dough around both index fingers to create a doughnut shape.

Place the bagels on the prepared baking tray, cover with clean a cloth and set them aside fir 5 minutes and puff up a bit.

Preheat the oven to 220°C.

Put the the 3 – 4 litres of water into a large, wide pan (I use a wok). Bring to boil and then add the malt extract and baking soda. Once the extract has dissolved, add the bagels in batches and boil them for 3 minutes, flip them using a slotted spoon, and boil on the other side for another 3 minutes.

Pat them dry with a clean tea towel and lay them back on the tray.

Brush the tops with the egg and sprinkle with a mixture of nigella seeds, salt flakes and onion flakes.

Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes, until golden.

adapted from here