It is our third Christmas in Germany and I have tried to make a few things this year. I have made garlands for our windows and I am hoping to make a wreath tomorrow! I will blog about them (if the wreath turns out well! If it doesn’t we will just pretend it never happened! 😉 )
My first Christmas recipe is this ginger bundt cake with chocolate glaze. I love this recipe and it is a great general winter baking recipe.
Ginger Bundt Cake
- 180g butter
- 330g brown sugar
- 3 egg
- 345g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3cm piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1.5 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/4 nutmeg seed, finely grated
- 6 tbsp golden syrup
- 75g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 75g double cream
- candied ginger
- Preheat the oven to 175c (fan assisted).
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at at time and beat until well combined.
- Add all of the spices and grated ginger and mix again.
- Add the oil and golden syrup and mix together.
- Finally, sieve the flour and baking powder into the mixture and gently stir until everything is well combined.
- Grease a bundt tin and add the cake batter to the tin, make the top as even as possible.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake is completely cool, put the cream into a small pan, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 1 minute. Take off the heat and allow to cool for another minute.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate until you have a smooth glossy mixture.
- Pour over the top of the cake. Once the glaze has firmed up, decorate with the candied ginger.