Jaffas. I bloody love them! I love anything orangey chocolate really… ok anything chocolate. They are a bit of a kiwi icon here in NZ (I’m sure the Aussies are like “waaaaah, they are ours, we made them first just like the pavlova… Actually, I think they did make Jaffas first but shhhhhhhh), so much so that we race them down a huge street every year. I personally think this is a waste of Jaffas! I made this a month or so ago for N to take to work but I’ve been busy trying to catch up on everything else that it’s been sitting here for this long! Like everything, I promise you that this is utterly delish. I wouldn’t share it if it wasn’t. You’ll even have people telling you that you need to open a bakery or cafe because it’s that good (maybe N’s work colleagues were just being polite?!) AND the best thing about this is, you don’t even have to bake it!
What you’ll need
for the base
- 200g unsalted butter
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped (I used Whittakers)
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- zest of 3 oranges, finely grated
- 2x 250g packet of malt biscuits, crushed
for the topping
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped (again, I used Whittakers)
- 50g butter
- 1 packet of Cadbury’s Jaffas, smashed up
What to do
- Grease and line a 20cm by 30cm rectangular slice tin with baking paper and make sure you have room in the fridge! If you haven’t already, grab a ziplock bag, smash up your bikkies and pop into a large bowl.
- Grab a decent sized pot and melt the butter over a medium heat making sure to stir often. Remove from the heat and stir in your chopped chocolate. Let it sit for a minute or two to soften then stir continuously until smooth. Whisk in the cocoa, sugar, eggs, vanilla and orange zest.
- Pour your orangey chocolate mixture over the crushed biscuits and mix until they are well coated. Dumb it into your lined slice tin, wet your fingers (this will stop the mix sticking to your fingers) and press down firmly until as even and smooth as poss. Chuck it into the fridge to set for about 2 hours.
- While your slice base is setting, smash up your Jaffas (cut a tiny hole in the bag to let out the air and smash with a rolling pin- rather therapeutic!) and melt the chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl either in the microwave or over a pot of simmering water and stir until well combined.
- Pull that beaut of a slice base out of the fridge and pour the chocolate over. Bang it on the bench or ground a few times until smooth. Sprinkle over the smashed up Jaffas and pop back into the fridge to set for an hour.
- Cut into slices, shove in your mouth and enjoy! Will keep in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy and absolutely effin delicious!