This is a bit of a celebration post because I think I’ve made it over the hump (being Wednesday and all). Those of you who have followed my sourdough starter story this past week will have seen all sorts of furry stuff growing on my starter (the mother starter being a 4 year old frozen nugget).
Two things have happened since yesterday. Last night before going to bed, I decided to check on my starter. I noticed more of a bubbly network within the starter, so decided to feed it to see if I could avoid the mould situation this morning. It had a lot more bubbles than when I fed it yesterday morning so I was sure in my mind that if I had left it, it would get gruesome again today. Second, I went back to my PDF of Dan Lepard’s The Times Sourdough article (circa 2012) for more advice and it says that after about a week of doing the 75grams / 100ml water feeding, one should invert the quantities. Perfect timing.
Here’s how it looked yesterday morning – furry mould had once again grown overnight.
Here’s how it looked last night (approx 12 hours later – this versus the 24 hourly feeds I’ve been giving it the past week).
Fast forward to this morning and here’s why we celebrate – no mould!
Ok, maybe if I had not fed it this morning we might have seen mould. But here we are with a lovely more developed network of bubbles.
So today I kept a small portion of this bubbly network in a separate jar to chill in my fridge. This will come in use if I need to top up my starter or get a new one going again in the near future.
I’ll feed my starter again tonight and invert the proportions.