These baked chicken wings are an easy dish to have up your sleeve for a quick weeknight dinner, or for your next potluck gathering. It’s relatively quick to throw together, the kids love it and leftovers can be packed the next day in their lunch boxes.
I love discovering recipes where I don’t need to run to the shops to pick up additional ingredients. It saves time, reduces wastage and reduces the risk of me picking up things that I don’t necessarily need but often impulse buy thinking that I’ll use it in a new bake or meal. Unfortunately, those days are rarer than not.
The original crispy baked garlic parmesan chicken wing recipe comes from Hola Croqueta. It was one that caught my eye from Foodgawker – a site that I often turn to for meal inspirations.
Don’t worry if you don’t have all the ingredients in your pantry. I think you can easily tweak as you need and it will still taste delicious. Nothing better than more-ish chicken wings baked crispy for a cost-effective, quick meal.
- 1kg / (2.5lbs) chicken wings (you could use mid joints or mini drumsticks too)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs chopped fresh basil (you could easily use dried basil, just reduce to 1 tbs)
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp all purpose seasoning salt (if you don’t have any in your pantry, just replace with sea salt)
- Preheat oven to 220C / 425F.
- Place wings on a lined baking sheet.
- Mix the oregano, cumin and sea salt in a small bowl and sprinkle over wings.
- Bake wings for around 20-25 minutes. Turn them halfway through baking time.
- Meanwhile, combine the oil, butter, fresh basil, garlic, parmesan and seasoning salt.
6. Bring the wings out after the first session in the oven, and pour the above mixture over the wings and using tongs, toss wings around to cover.
7. Pop the wings back into the oven for an additional 20-25 minutes, turning them halfway for even browning.
If you like them crispier, or if they need a bit longer to cook through leave them in for another 5-10 minutes.
Serve with your favourite hot sauce, a veggie stirfry, or a nice green salad and some home-made sweet potato fries.
We always have a bottle of Nando’s peri-peri garlic sauce in the house ready for chicken. What’s your favourite hot sauce in your home?