I love baking with fresh fruits, especially berries. I have not tried baking with fresh cranberries yet. When I saw fresh cranberries at the supermarket recently, I quickly bought 2 packets and knew exactly what I wanted to bake. A cranberry orange layer cake with cranberry orange filling and orange cream cheese frosting, and decorated with sugared cranberries!
Cranberry and orange is a wonderful flavor combination. We absolutely love this moist and fluffy cake that has the perfect balance of tart and sweet! This cake recipe is definitely worth trying.
For Sugared Cranberries
- 150g fresh cranberries
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
For Cranberry Orange Cake (Recipe adapted from Chef in Training)
Yield : 2 x 7-inch cakes
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 330g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 250g fresh cranberries
- 2 ½ cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For Cranberry Orange Sauce
- 170g fresh cranberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
For Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Sugared cranberries (refer to recipe above)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
1. Heat water and ½ cup sugar in a saucepan until boiling and the syrup thickens slightly.
2. Allow the syrup to cool for 15 minutes.
3. Line baking tray with aluminum foil and place a wire rack over it.
4. Add cranberries to the saucepan and stir until they are fully coated.
5. Remove the cranberries from the saucepan and transfer them to the wire rack. Let them drip dry for 1 hour.
6. Pour the remaining ½ cup sugar into a shallow dish and toss the cranberries until they are coated in sugar.
Cranberry Orange Cake
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Grease and line two 7-inch cake pans.
3. In a large bowl, sift flour together with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4. In another large bowl, use an electric mixer and cream butter, sugar and orange zest together for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
5. Add eggs one at a time and beating well after each addition.
6. Add vanilla and mix in.
7. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Gently stir in the cranberries.
8. Pour batter evenly between two cake pans.
9. Bake at 175C for 55-60 minutes.
10. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning them out on the wire rack to cool completely.
11. While the cakes cool, prepare the cranberry orange sauce.
Cranberry Orange Sauce
1. In a saucepan, heat water, sugar and orange juice for 5 minutes and keep stirring continuously until the sugar dissolves.
2. Add cranberries and cook for another 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes without stirring.
3. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest.
4. Let the cranberry sauce cools. Prepare the orange cream cheese frosting once the cake and cranberry sauce cool completely.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
2. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add in powdered sugar.
3. Add in orange zest, orange juice and salt and beat until combined.
4. Increase the speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
5. Add the cream and beat the mixture until light and fluffy.
1. Place one cake layer on a cake stand and spread cranberry orange sauce on top of cake.
2. Gently place another cake layer on top and press down lightly to seal them together.
3. Using an offset spatula, spread the orange cream cheese frosting evenly on the top cake layer.
4. Decorate the cake with sugared cranberries and orange zest.