This is not an ordinary banana cake, but a DOUBLE CHOCOLATE banana cake (sorry, cannot contain my excitement!) Soft, moist, tender, chocolatey and incredibly delicious, this is the kind of cake I want to have everyday!
Step-by-step photos can be found on my blog here!
- 115 grams unsalted butter, melted (1/2 cup)
- 3 large very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 145 grams light/dark brown sugar (3/4 cup)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 125 grams all-purpose flour (1 cup)
- 60 grams Dutch-process cocoa powder (1/2 cup) (I used Varlhona)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 100 grams chocolate chips / chunks (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 175C / 350F. Grease a 7-inch round tin or a 1-litre loaf pan (8×4-inch).
- Whisk melted butter and bananas together with a wire whisk. Whisk in sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Use a large spoon or rubber spatula and fold until no dry ingredients remained. Do not overmix! Stir in the chocolate chips/chunks.
- Scrape batter into prepared tin and bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean with only melted chocolate stains.
- Cool for 15 minutes then turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.