Sometimes we all crave for some chocolate cake, but we don’t necessarily want to make a whole 8″ cake and then wait for it to cool before getting to enjoy it, would we? These little French cakes are a breeze to whip up and they literally take no time at all for them to cool down so you can quickly pop one into your mouth to satisfy that craving. Even better, they are best when eaten on the day of making, so there’s no excuse for you to not finish them all in one sitting! (I promise not to tell on you 😉)
This recipe changes up the classic plain madeleine by adding cocoa powder and cinnamon for that extra kick of flavour. The smell of these from your oven would even make your neighbours jealous!
Cocoa & Cinnamon Madeleines
(makes 12 regular-sized madeleines)
- 2 eggs
- 50g light brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly grease your madeleine tin
- Place the eggs, brown sugar and caster sugar in a mixing bowl and beat well until the mixture is light and frothy.
- Lightly fold in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cocoa powder, butter and vanilla extract.
- Leave the batter to stand for 20 minutes.
- Divide the mixture between the holes in the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 8 – 10 minutes until well risen.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 1- 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Eat on the day of making!