ONLY 24 MORE SLEEPS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!
I hope you are just as excited as I am for all the desserts we are able to eat. Speaking of dessert, what better way to impress your friends & family during Christmas dinner (or any other gathering) than with this super easy-professional looking-“did you actually make this yourself”-chocolate fondants (which is just another name for molten lava cake).
I love this recipe because it can be adaptable to your own flavour combinations as well. Add a spoonful of Nutella (always a good choice), peanut butter (who doesn’t love this combination?!), or some white chocolate chips to add a little more surprise to your lava cake. You can even swap out the dark chocolate for white and add a tablespoon of matcha powder to the mix to make a green tea lava cake too!! So many different ways to up the ante on this cake. Make a few different flavours and let everyone try a bit of each!
The recipe makes three 6-oz ramekin cakes, but you can easily double it and make this dessert in a muffin tin so you get more cakes in a single bake! Just be careful not to eat it all by yourself before you serve your guests
Chocolate Fondants (makes three 6-oz ramekin cakes)
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 65g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 tbsp self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
For decoration (optional):
- icing sugar
- sprig of mint
- vanilla ice cream
- Preheat your oven to 180 C.
- Melt dark chocolate and butter in the microwave and let it cool down.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla using an electric whisk until it turns pale and frothy.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and stir in the flour together with the salt gently. Make sure there are no streaks in your batter.
- Grease your ramekins with some butter and fill to about 3/4 full with the batter. Bake for ~10 minutes. (This is an estimated timing. There should still be a little wobble in the centre where it’s supposed to be molten.)
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes. Use a knife to gently loosen the edges and carefully invert onto a serving plate.
- Dust icing sugar over the cake and serve a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top with some berries on the side. Be sure to eat it right away while it’s still warm!