These chocolate chip cookie bars are everything that you are looking for: chewy, gooey, sweet, crunchy, chocolatey, and just the right treat for an afternoon snack or an accompaniment to your tea.
The secret part of making these yummy bars is that you have to use chocolate chunks NOT chocolate chips. This is not optional. The chocolate chunks melt much easier in the oven as they don’t contain wax, unlike in chocolate chips, to hold them together. This means more melty, gooey, chocolately goodness for when you bite into these bars. And who doesn’t want that?!
Although, you could still use chocolate chips in these if you really have to (but really you shouldn’t). What I did was just cut up a bar of dark chocolate (you can subsitute that for milk, white or any combination that you fancy) into small chunks and threw it into the batter. It’s as simple as that!
The browned butter also adds an additional nutty flavour that brings thse bars onto a WHOLE new level of deliciousness. And honestly I could just go on about how amazing these bars are that the tops are crunchy and crispy while the insides are soft and chewy, but you should just find out for yourself and bake them! The recipe cannot get any easier.
Chewy Browned Butter Cookie Bars
Makes 16 square bars
- 125g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 113g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC and line an 8×8 inch square pan with aluminium foil.
- Brown the butter in a small saucepot on the stove and leave to cool.
- In the meantime, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Once the browned butter has come to room temperature, stir in the sugar, egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, remember not to overmix it.
- Carefully fold in the chocolate chunks and transfer to your baking pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top becomes a nice golden brown colour.
- Let it cool before cutting and enjoying!